7. Display it all! Cover every wall with personal photos. Hang your portrait over the master bed. Make sure your kitchen counter has every “as seen on TV” small appliance ever sold sitting out with pride. That Matchbox car collection will look awesome on the fireplace mantel in the bonus room. Get out those gnomes and put them all over the yard. Have some pink flamingos, they love gnomes! Oh, and two words – Princess House!
6. Wallpaper from the 1980’s. You must have at least 3 bedrooms, the entry and the hall way all in blue and mauve floral along with some dark green and white strip to show off that matching bedspread and shower curtain!
5. Leave dirty dishes in the sink. Is that dishwasher full of clean dishes? Perfect!
4. Install “Beware of Dog” signs. As I walk up to the door and see one, two then three beware of dog signs I am over excited to use my key to open the lock box. Is there really a dog? Should we open the door? I forgot my dog biscuits today!
3. Install orange shag carpet. Enough said.
2. Make sure your home stinks. I have lost count how many times a buyer has asked me the question, “Is that cat pee I smell?” Pet odors are something buyers have a keen smell for. Pet odors and cigarette smoke smell, oh, and when you have both we probably won’t make it past the entry way.
1. Price it HIGH! Forget about what the market analysis shows. Test the market with a price that is $50,000 over the CMA estimate. I don’t take over-prices listings.
You know I was just being silly here, but you would not believe how many times I have taken buyers to properties and seen some or smelled some horrific things. This is why when you list with me I will go over your property with you and make suggestions on what you need to do. You will be moving so pack some stuff away, hire a service to get the home sparkling clean, do some updating so you will get the price you deserve. Its not hard, but there will be some chores.